Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Q & A with Jordan Cabandong

An excerpt from FEU Advocate

 

“Success is a joy, failure is only a postponed success”

Why did you run for presidency?

Siyempre because running for presidency is not my personal ambition, it is our collective vision for upholding or ensuring that there is genuine leadership. I mean, I’m here to protect the students’ right and welfare. I’m here to articulate the needs of the students. As the president of FEUCSO, I will be the standard bearer of this advocacy especially the principles of SAMASA.

What are the shortcomings  or problems in the current system that you want to change?

The current problem is the irrelevance of the projects which are unresponsive to the genuine needs of the students. I mean, project like that of blood typing. This project was unresponsive. You’ll just know your blood and then after what will happen? What we need today are student leaders that are responsible enough to defend the rights of the students. In addition, another problem is the House of Congress or the Student Congress because there is what we call improper representation for the constituents because it is just parliament or congress of the organization per se because not all classes are represented. There is no diverse of opinion, therefore whatever decision  they have there, cannot be coded as the decision of the majority or decision of the whole university.

How are you going to do that?

Siyempre as the president if ever I would win, I would ensure first, the most critical, the Student Congress because the Student Congress is where the policies and interests of the students are articulated. I will ensure that the Student Congress will be effective enough. We in the SAMASA Party already agreed that it is where the minds meet in order to assure that students’ right and welfare are protected.

Why should the students vote for you and your party?

Why the students should vote for me? One reason, it is my vision. Another reason would be my proven capacity to lead. First, my vision. I have a vision for the community. I have a vision to the FEU studentry. And that vision is to uphold and protect the students’ right and welfare especially that is the principle of the party I belong.

How are you going to improve the relationship and communication between the students and SCs in your term?

Siyempre we will use all possible means in order to assure that every student is informed of whatever is happening in the whole community. We will use the FEU Advocate or we will use newsletters. We’ll make posters and post them to every classroom. We’ll make room-to-room discussions on them regarding the programs. We will by all means use even technology, like facebook, cellphone, thru text, emails. And then also we will gather all PRO of organizations and have what we call as group of PROs that will inform the students of whatever is happening in the University in order to assure that everyone is informed, Because if everyone is informed on what is happening in the University, then they would be able to participate.

What are you going to do if you lose?

I believe in the saying that success is a joy, failure is only a postponed success. Even if I will lose in this election, I will still continue to serve the studentry. I will still continue whatever I have started. Because I am a student leader, I am a youth leader and I am a community leader. I have presided a community organization. And I will still continue whatever I have started. Because losing the election is not a reason for one to turn his back on the path of leadership. It will just be a challenge for him to restart once again.

Jordan Cabandong
3rd Year, Political Science
FEUCSO President, SAMASA

0 comments:

Post a Comment